Friday, December 16, 2005

A PREVIOUS SUBJECT.

Now, I know that I've brought this up before, but I just wanted to see all of your guys' view on this: Christians that swear.

Now, here's my thing: You can stand there and tell me that words are just words (yet Jehovah says to not take His name in vain), and that it's just a cultural thing. But is it really? What is in our hearts flows out thru our lips. And that, my friend, is scripture also. Even in the secular world, swearing is considered ill-mannered in respectable situations...so why is that Christians sometimes swear--or even make it a lifestyle?

Now, when I was younger, I used to have a problem with swearing. But I always knew that it was wrong, and it truly was always coming from the pit of me. IT WAS IN MY HEART!! Anger, bitterness.....I'm humble enough to admit that...Now, Philippians 4:8 tells us to THINK and MEDITATE on that which is pure, lovely, admirable, HONORABLE, etc...is swearing that? The answer is clearly NO!!

And, which reminds me, why are we as Christians so afraid of that verse? I remember not liking that verse, even just a few years ago, because I thought it meant that I would be bored every day of my life. But is that not how our Enemy works? Thinking that the Christian life is boring? Like, many believe that heaven is just going to be us on clouds, playing the harp--but O! How it WON'T be so!! Heaven will be a party! A feast! Each of us having new names....the Word tells us that heaven is BEYOND our comprehension!! Oh my word, I'm rambling...

well, that's that. And hey: i'm 99% sure that I'll have an apartment a few weeks after I'm there!! (I just have to save money for me to move in!)

hey: comment, eh?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you want to read some other christians thoughts on this very same thing???
go to my site and look up
that_little_chick
december 8th thursday
she is asking somewhat the same questions

its an interesting discussion.
i think you have a great perspective.
i have reasons for feeling a bit differently. i will have to ponder how to express them to you.
don't be mad!
love ya for life
ERIN

Bev said...

Hey Shauna! First time on your blog... super interesing entry. I'm having the same thoughts here in Switz. A few of the Christians that I know here take the Lord's name in vain and it makes me totally insane!!! Maybe here that is a cutlural thing to do but it is so vile to hear God's people cursing Him! One Erin's blog she was talking about euphamisms too... do you think that's wrong? Because I use them... such as 'oh my word'... which you also used in your entry. Or Erin was talking about saying 'frig' all the time. I've heard friends say that if your gonna say the 'softer' version of the swear, you may as well be saying the real thing.
Just my thoughts on the matter...

shauna marie said...

aiighht...I'm back. Here's my thing...what's in your heart? the "Euph" word...we could just take that to extremes and say that all words are just meaningless, etc....but obviously not, cause the Apostle Paul is pretty clear that any unwholesome, filthy language: we need to remove. I would say that like, 8/10 times, I'm not thinking "the word"....but that's a moment by moment thing. And someday, I will answer to the Lord about not only is in my heart, but what comes from my lips.

I guess that I just need to study.. Scripture on this one. My conscience can't handle doing it, so I shouldn't...I could go on, but I won't. Anyways, and I'm not making this a big argument....but I don't think it's wrong to challenge believers either. Sometimes, esp. the more that I've traveled around and stuff...it's all about "just bein' together" and stuff. Whatev. the Apostles challenged each other and us: and they're our brothers.

peace, out. I'm tired.

nathan said...

Interesting thoughts Shauna... I have thought this many times as well.
There was a time when I as well used alot of language.....I agree with you that there are some definate wrongs... Taking the name of the Lord in vain for instance.....no matter how..... it's wrong.... however things that people say like a** as opposed to butt or Sh*t as opposed to crap ...you get the idea....(where the words themself don't mean anything bad)or even things like frig . I think its different.. I am not offended by them in the same way that I am when I hear Gods name used in vain... With words like that I think it is more of a personal thing and that they really are just words..... I do choose to not use most words just for the fact that people around me would find it offensive.... making it not right to use them...I don't know these are just some random thoughts.